Book Catalogue – Science & Natural History
16. WARD, Seth. Vindiciæ Academarium containing some briefe animadversions upon Mr Webster's Book, stiled, The Examination of Academies.
Oxford: Leonard Lichfield. 1654.
Small 4to. Recently rebound in full brown morocco, gilt lettering to spine; pp. 65; very good. Provenance: family copy with bookplate of a later Seth Ward to front pastedown.First edition…
18. [DARWIN, Charles Robert]. BARLOW, Nora, , ed. Darwin’s Ornithological Notes.
Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) Historical Series, 1963.
8vo. Original printed wrappers; pp. [ii] + 33 -278; fine..First edition. Bulletin vol. 2 no. 7. and vol. 3 no. 5. These notes, made on board H.M.S. Beagle, had not previously been published…
20. DARWIN, Charles Robert. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex ... Second Edition, Revised and Augmented.
London: William Clowes and Sons, Limited for John Murray, 1890.
8vo. Original green cloth, boards with blind-ruled borders and panelled in blind, spine lettered and decorated in gilt, pp. xvi, 693, [1 (blank)]; wood-engraved illustrations in the text…
21. DARWIN, Charles Robert. The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.
John Murray, 1891.
8vo. Original green cloth gilt; pp. xxi + 432, one folding chart; binding a little rubbed, browning to endpapers, a very good copy. Sixth edition (forty-third thousand). The source of much…
22. DARWIN, Charles Robert. A Naturalist's Voyage. Journal of Researches into the Natural History and Geology of the Countries Visited during the Voyage of H.M.S. 'Beagle' round the World.
London: William Clowes and Sons, Limited for John Murray, 1897.
8vo. Original green cloth, gilt vignette of man hunting a rhea on upper board, gilt spine; pp. xi, , 500; engraved portrait frontispiece retaining tissue guard, woodcut text…
23. DARWIN, Charles Robert. Journal of Researches into the Natural History & Geology of the Countries Visited during the Voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle round the world.
New York: Hafner Publishing Company. 1952.
8vo. Publisher's full green calf, gilt lettering to spine, marbled endpapers, t.e.g.; pp. Xiv + 629 + 609-615 (index), 16 plates; near fine.Number 1 of limited edition of 250 for the Book…
24. GREGORY, J.W. and C.J. GREGORY. The geological and physical geography of Chinese Tibet, and its relations to the muntain system of south-eastern Asia, from observations made during the Percy Sladen expedition, 1922.
The Royal Society 1925
4to. Original paper wrapper; pp. 171 - 298, folding map and 3 photographic plates, text illustrations; fine.Reprinted from the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series B, Vol 213.
25. GREGORY, William King. On the structure and relations of Notharctus, an American Eocene primate.
New York: American Museum of Natural History. 1920.
4to. Sometime bound in quarter maroon leather, grey cloth boards, gilt lettering to spine; pp. 49 - 243, 54 plates including 8 removable stereoscopic slides; partially uncut, very…
26. HALL, Sir James. On the Revolutions of the Earth's Surface.
Edinburgh: Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1815.
4to. Recently bound in linen backed light blue paper-covered boards; pp. 139-211, 4 plates (one with handcolouring); fourth plate repaired to fore-edge, otherwise near fine.First edition…
27. OSBORN, Henry Fairfield and Charles Craig MOOK. Camarasaurus, Amphicoelias, and other sauropods of Cope.
New York: American Museum of Natural History 1921.
4to. Original printed paper wrappers; pp. 387, 85 plates (some folding); chipping to edges of wrapper, otherwise very good.Reprint of Memoirs of the American Museum of Natural History, New…
28. PRESTWICH, Joseph. On the origin of the parallel roads of Lochaber and their bearing on other phenomena of the glacial period.
The Royal Society 1880.
4to. Original paper wrapper; pp. 663 - 726, map with red and blue highlighting, text engravings; fine.Reprinted from the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Part II, 1879.
29. SAUVAGE, M. H.-E. Mémoire sur les dinosauriens et les crocodiliens des terrains Jurassiques de Boulogne-Sur-Mer.
Paris: Société Géologique de France. 1874.
4to. Original printed paper wrappers; pp. 56, 10 plates; wrapper a little chipped, foxing to last couple of leaves, very good.Reprint of Mémoires de Société Géologique de France…