Book Catalogue – Science & Natural History
17. CHILDS' Spring Catalogue of Seeds, Bulbs and Plants for 1901.
Floral Park, NY: John Lewis Childs. .
8vo. Original decorative paper wrappers; pp. 152 on different coloured papers, 12 coloured plates each with text to verso, text illustrations throughout; very good indeed.The lavish 1901…
18. COUNTERCULTURE The Mother Earth News Vol 1, No. 1, January 1970.
Madison, Ohio: Mother Earth News. 1970.
Magazine 11 x 8.5 inches, cover in black and yellow; pp. 64, illustrated throughout; a little chipping to corners, a little browned, very good.The first issue of this important journal in…
22. MACGREGOR, Jessie. Gardens of Celebrities and Celebrated Gardens in and around London.
Hutchinson & Co. .
4to. Original green cloth, gilt stamped to front, lettered in black to spine; pp. xii + 326, 20 colour and 6 monochrome plates; binding a little sunned, spotting to fore-edges, very…
24. NICHOLSON, George. The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening. A Practical and Scientific Encyclopaedia of Horticulture for Gardeners and Botanists.
L. Upcott Gill. [1884-1901].
4to. 11 vols. Original green cloth, gilt lettering and black stamped botanical designs to fronts and spines, blind stamped botanical designs to rears, all edges gilt; each volume pp. 264…
25. PERCY, Lord William. Three Studies in Bird Character. Bitterns, herons and water rails.
Country Life Ltd. 1951.
8vo. Original scarlet cloth, gilt lettering to upper board and spine, with origianl dustwrapper; pp. 63, 82 b&w photos; wrapper very slightly bumped to extremities, very good.First edition. An interesting study of some elusive birds.
27. ROBINSON, William. My Wood Fires and their story. Showing the beauty and use of the wood fire: of the way to secure good draught and combustion: of the native woods best for fuel: of the abolition of the fender: and of the economy and value of wood as fuel.
Country Life. 1917.
4to. Original white cloth, gilt lettering to upper; pp. 54, 15 plates; previous owner's pencil signature to ffep, binding somewhat marked, endpapers browned, internally very clean, very…
28. SACKVILLE-WEST, Vita. In Your Garden, In Your Garden Again, More for Your Garden, Even More for Your Garden
Michael Joseph. 1951-1958.
8vo. 4 volumes. Original cloth and dustwrappers; illustrated with black and white photographs throughout; a little chipping to spines of dustwrappers, otherwise very good indeed, a…
29. SLAWSON, David A. Secret Teachings in the Art of Japanese Gardens.
Tokyo: Kodansha International Ltd. 1987.
4to. Original cloth and wrapper; pp. 220, text illsutrations; wrapper a little rubbed with small portion missing from head of spine, internally near fine.First edition. The aesthetic principles behind Japanese garden design.