Book Catalogue – Piccadilly Notes - No64
1. GOULD, John. 'A Monograph of the Ramphastidae, or Family of Toucans'. Second edition 1852-54.
A collection of 49 original pattern plates from 'A Monograph of the Ramphastidae, or Family of Toucans'. Second edition 1852-54. 560 x 390 mm. (each)
Plate #3 "Brevicarinatus" or Short-billed Toucan is included as an uncoloured lithograph. #34 "Nattereri" or Natterer's Toucanet is included as a coloured lithograph. These two prints make up the full set of 51 plates for the Second edition.
Please note: Other Pattern plates as well as uncoloured lithographs for various Gould publications are available for sale. Please ask Richard in the Print Department for further details.
These were acquired when Henry Sotheran Ltd bought John Gould's entire estate in 1881 and represent a rare glimpse into the workings behind these wonderful illustrations.
One of 10 copies numbered A to J, with this being J.
2. SHAHN, Ben. Haggadah for Passover, Copied and Illustrated by Ben Shahn.
The Trianon Press, 1966.
80 leaves. Large, unbound folio in stiff, glassine covered wrappers, housed in large, vellum box, stamped with gilt lettering on front, back, and spine, with double clasp closure. Includes…
stockholm shop signage
5. JONSSON, Josef. Den praktiske skyltmålaren :en samling af utförda firmaskyltar jemte alfabet återgifna i rikt färgtryck till ledning för målare
Stockholm. Gustaf Chelius,. 1899.
Folio, title-page, preface and 25 loose double page plates printed in gold, sliver and colours, in original portfolio with ties. A little staining to portfolio, a couple of short closed…
8. NEWTON, Sir Isaac Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica.
Glasgow: Andreae et Joannis M. Duncan. 1822.
4to. 4 vols bound in 2. Contemporary full brown calf, boards with gilt double fillet panels and acanthus and shell-motif blind rolls to borders, spines with gilt panels and red morocco…
12. FLAXMAN, John (artist). AESCHYLUS. Compositions from the Tragedies of Aeschylus designed by John Flaxman. Engraved by Thomas Piroli, Moses, and Howard.
Bell and Daldy. 1870.
Folio, original cloth backed paper covered board, lettered in black on upper board. Pp. title-page, 2 engraved title-pages, 34 plates numbered 3-36. Binding a little rubbed and soiled…
13. ANDERSON, Anne (illustrator). Horace MANSION (music arranged by). Old French Nursery Songs.
London: George G. Harrap & Co. .
4to. Original mid-blue cloth-backed boards with full-size onlaid pictorial plate to upper cover, spine lettered in dark blue; pp. [iv], 5-87; with 8 fine, and enchanting, coloured plates…
14. ANNESLEY, Mabel M. As the Sight is Bent. An unfinished Autobiography Edited by Constance Malleson.
Museum Press. 1964.
8vo., original cloth with dust wrapper. Illustrated with 35 engravings on wood printed directly from the blocks. Spine of wrapper slightly darkened, light brown lines to front panel of…
15. APULEIUS. The Metamorphosis, or Golden Ass, and Philosophical Works of Apuleius, Translated from the original Latin by Thomas Taylor.
Triphook and Rodd. 1822.
8vo., sometime bound in half double gilt ruled brown morocco, lettered in gilt on spine with gilt rules and centre tools, all edges gilt. Pp. xxiv, 400 +  "Suppressed…