Book Catalogue – Cabinet of Curiosities
A gathering of the more unusual articles in our stock.
3. ARCTIC EXPEDITION 1875. Copeland Saucer, with expedition crest featuring a polar bear, marked Discovery, marked with Copeland anchor inscribed Arctic Expedition 1875 and their stamp on verso.
Diameter 172 mm; centre a little worn, otherwise very good , not dishwasher safe.This is a rare survival from the near-tragic expedition led by Captain George Nares on behalf of the…
C.R. Ashbee's own copy, one of 20 copies on vellum
4. ASHBEE, C.R. The Masque of the Edwards of England: Being a Coronation Pageant to Celebrate the Crowning of the King.
Essex House Press. 1902.
Oblong Folio, original cloth lettered in black on upper board, printed on vellum in Endeavour type in red and black. Illustrated with 18 drawings by Edith Harwood, these handcoloured and…
6. BAIRD, Mrs Edith Elina Helen. The Twentieth Century Retractor, Chess Fantasies and Letter Problems: Being a Selection of Three Hundred Problems by Mrs W.F. Baird. Enriched with Shakespearean Quotations.
Henry Sotheran & Co. 1907.
4to., original publisher's red cloth lettered in gilt on spine with triple gilt panels and central gilt block on upper board reproduced in blind on lower board, all edges gilt. Floral…
1 of only 36 copies
8. BAWDEN, Edward (Illustrator) SIMON, Oliver and MILES, Hamish. A Conversation Piece.
Privately Printed at The Curwen Press for the friends of Desmond Flower, Hamish Miles and Oliver Simon. February 1933.
8vo., original card wrappers sewn as issued, lettered on upper wrapper. Title-page with a decorative border by Bawden, head and tail piece also by Bawden, pp.16. A near fine copy.First…
9. BEATLES Wallpaper
164 x 52 cm. Long closed tear at bottom edge, some creasing towards bottom, otherwise very good.A rare and impressive piece of Beatlemania ephemera.
11. BEWICK, John. Emblems of Mortality; representing in upwards of fifty cuts, Death seizing all ranks and degrees of people. Imitated from a painting in the cemetery of the Dominican Church at Bas[i]l in Switzerland: With an apostrophe to each, translated from the Latin and French. Intended as well for the information of the curious, as the instruction and entertainment of youth. To which is prefixed a copious preface, containing an historical account of the above, and other paintings on this subject, now or lately existing in divers parts of Europe.
Printed for T. Hodgson. 1789.
12mo pages laid into small 4to. Full C19th morocco lettered in gilt on spine. Wood engraved frontispiece and 51 text illustrations by John Bewick after Holbein. A few leaves cropped at…
13. BROOKE, Rupert. Autograph letter Signed to Mrs [Mary Prescott] Wells.
Hotel Bellevue, Beacon Street, Boston. May 16, 1914.
6 page autograph letter to Mrs. [Mary Prescott] Wells, the wife of Chauncey Wetmore Wells, a professor of writing at the University of California at Berkeley. Brooke had stayed with the…
burton the bohemian – signed presentation copy
14. [BURTON, Sir Richard]. Stone Talk (Lithofonema): Being, Some of the Marvellous Savings of a Petral Portion of Fleet Street, London, to one Doctor Polyglott, Ph.D. By Frank Baker, D.O.N.
London, Robert Hardwicke, 1865.
8vo. Original violet cloth, spine lettered and ornamented in gilt; front cover with title in gilt within uroburos in gilt; pp. [vi, title, dedication and errata leaf, which is lacking in…
15. [BYRON, Lord] CACLAMANOS, Demetrius. The Centenary of Byron's Death in England Two Addresses delivered by Demetrius Caclamanos (Minister for Greece).
Privately Printed. 1924.
Small 8vo., original vellum spine over boards covered with paper impressed with an artificial wood-grain. Printed label on the front cover lettered in black with titles in both English and…