Book Catalogue – Travel and Exploration
motoring in tanzania
1. CAMPBELL, W.W. East Africa by Motor Lorry. Recollections of an Ex-Motor Transport Driver.
London, John Murray, .
8vo. Original blue cloth gilt with vignette of a hut on stilts in gilt to upper boards; pp. xii, 318, [4, advertisements]; black and white photograph plates, sketches and 1 sketch map…
2. CASATI, Gaetano. Ten Years in Equatoria and the Return with Emin Pasha … Translated from the Original Italian Manuscript by The Hon. Mrs. J. Randolph Clay assisted by Mr. I. Walter Savage Landor.
London, Frederick Warne and Co., 1891.
8vo. 2 volumes. Original pictorial cloth, vignette of Casati bound to a tree, surrounded by tribesmen blocked in black, silver and gilt to upper covers, gilt medallion portrait of Casati to…
3. CATLIN, George. North American Indians, Being Letters and Notes on their Manners, Customs, and Conditions, written during eight Years' Travel amongst the Wildest Tribes of Indians in North America, 1832-1839.
Edinburgh, John Grant, 1903.
8vo. 2 vols. Original red pictorial cloth, gilt vignettes of two Indians on horseback, lettered in gilt, top edges gilt; pp. xi, , 298; xii, 303, three maps (one folding and in colour…
4. CHAPMAN, Abel. Retrospect. Reminiscences and Impressions of a Hunter-Naturalist in Three Continents 1851-1928.
London and Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd for Gurney and Jackson, 1928.
8vo. Original green cloth, boards with blind-ruled borders, spine lettered and ruled in gilt, top edge green, others uncut, in the rarely seen illustrated dust-wrappers; contemporary…
'an excellent observer'
5. EWBANK, Thomas. Life in Brazil; or, A Journal of a Visit to the Land of the Cocoa and the Palm. With an Appendix, Containing Illustrations of Ancient South American Arts in Recently Discovered Implements and Products of Domestic Industry, and Works in Stone, Pottery, Gold, Silver, Bronze, &c.
New York: Harper & Brothers, 1856.
8vo. Original grey cloth, spine lettered in gilt, ornamented in blind; pp. 469, wood-engraved illustrations in the text, one full-page, and letterpress tables in the text; occasionall…
7. GRANT, James A. A Walk Across Africa or Domestic Scenes From My Nile Journal.
London, William Blackwood and Sons, 1864.
8vo. Original cream cloth, with gilt-stamped spine, title and front cover decoration of a M'Ganda warrior saluting, dark green endpapers; pp. xviii, 452, [30, advertisments…
9. JENNINGS, Major J. Willes, and Christopher ADDISON. With the Abyssinians in Somaliland.
London, Hodder and Stoughton, 1905.
8vo. Original red cloth, illustrated and lettered in gilt, top edge gilt; pp. xii, 265, , folding map and plates after photographs; text a little spotted, partly erased gift inscription…
10. LE ROUX, Hugues. Ménélik et nous. Le carrefour d'Aden. La route d'Addis-Ababâ. Je suis l'hôte du Négus. Vers le Nil Bleu. France et Abyssinie.
Paris, Nilsson, .
8vo. Original half-morocco over cloth boards, spine lettered in gilt, front cover with gilt lettering and portrait of Menelik, original colour illustrated front wrapper bound in; pp. 446…
the material culture of ethiopia
11. LEFEBVRE, Théophile. Voyage en Abyssinie exécute pendant les années 1839, 1840, ... 1843 ... Album historique, ethnologique et archéologique.
Paris, Arthus Bertrand, c. 1845.
Large folio. Contemporary morocco-backed pebble-grained cloth boards, spine ruled and lettered in gilt; pp. , 54 (of 57) plates (14 engraved, the others in lithography, tinted and…
12. LEFEBVRE, Théophile. Voyage en Abyssinie exécute pendant les années 1839, 1840, ... 1843 ... Histoire naturelle. Zoologie.
Paris, Arthus Bertrand, c. 1845.
Large folio. Contemporary morocco-backed pebble-grained cloth boards, spine ruled and lettered in gilt; pp. , 40 engraved and hand-coloured plates; binding a little worn; internally…
more cotton for the english manufacturers
13. NEW KASSALA RAILWAY. Over 500 Original Photographs in 6 cloth-bound 8vo albums.
Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, c. 1922.
Plain brown and grey military-style cloth covered albums (cloth-backed boards), photos slotted into card mounts; a little wear to bindings, numerous mounting cards loosened; photos…