Book Catalogue – Travel and Exploration
1. [NAPOLEON]. ABELL, Lucia Elizabeth. Recollections of the Emperor Napoleon, during the First Three Years of his Captivity on the Island of St. Helena: including the Time of his Residence at her Father's House, "The Briars".
London, John Murray, 1844.
8vo. Original green cloth, blocked in gilt with Napoleonic insignia on the upper cover (in blind on the lower cover) and bees on the spine; pp. xii, 251, 16 (publisher's advertisements…
3. ADALBERT, Prince of Prussia. Travels of His Royal Highness Prince Adalbert of Prussia, in the South of Europe and in Brazil, with a Voyage up the Amazon and the Xingú. Translated by Sir Robert H. Schomburgk and John Edward Taylor.
London, David Bogue, 1849.
Two volumes in one, 8vo. Contemporary red cloth, spine ornamented and lettered in gilt, covers ornamented in gilt and blind, all edges gilt, yellow endpapers; pp. xvi, 338; v, 377…
4. AIR STAFF INTELLIGENCE HEADQUARTERS BOMBER COMMAND. The Intelligence Officer's Handbook.
Air Staff Intelligence Headquarters Bomber Command, December, 1943.
Small 4to. Original pink printed wrappers, RAF blue-grey cord-binding (shoe string); pp. v, 91, diagrams and humorous illustrations by P.F. Foster in the text; light marking to wrappers…
where the word comes from
5. ALCOCK, Sir Rutherford. The Capital of the Tycoon: A Narrative of Three Years' Residence in Japan.
Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, & Green, 1863.
Two volumes, 8vo. Publisher's original green cloth, image of samurai blocked in gilt to upper cover of volume I and of geisha to volume II, lettered and decorated in gilt to spines; pp…
6. AL-MAQRIZI, Ahmad ibn 'Ali al, and Heinrich Joseph WETZER [translator]. Taki-eddini Makrizii Historia Coptorum Christianorum in Aegypto Arabice, edita et in liguam Latinam translata ab H. J. Wetzer.
Sulzbach, Seidel, 1828.
8vo. Contemporay marbled boards with green gilt-stamped lettering-piece; pp. xxiv, 215; minimal wear to extremities, light browning only, a very clean copy; provenance: ms. shelfmark…
7. ARABIA - GULF. Philip's Map of Egypt and the Soudan, including the Valley of the Nile, The Red Sea, Abyssinia, Arabia, etc.
London and Liverpool, George Philip & Sons, [c. 1865].
Lithographic folding map (c. 500 x 570 mm), linen-backed and dissected into 24 segments and folding back into the original small 8vo dark green cloth cover, lettered in gilt, ornamented in…
8. ARMSTRONG, Harold Courtenay. Lord of Arabia. Ibn Saud. An Intimate Study of a King.
London, Arthur Barker, 1934.
8vo. Original blue cloth, spine lettered in gilt, with the rarely seen original pictorial dust-wrappers, designed by Mendoza, map endpapers; pp. 306, frontispiece portrait and sketch map…
9. AYLWARD, William. Excavations at Zeugma. Conducted by Oxford Archaeology.
Los Altos, California, The Packard Humanities Institute, 2013.
Three volumes, 4to. Original black cloth, spines lettered in gilt; pp. xii, 279, ; vi, 258; vi, 449, numerous illustrations, hundreds of plates, two plans in rear pocket of volume I…
the air war effort of malaysia
10. BAKER, Charles Alma. 94 Gift Battleplanes which fought in the Great War, presented to His Majesty's Imperial Government. Australia: Forty-one; Malaya: Fifty-three; sixteen of which were presented direct by His Highness the Sultan of Johore and one by His Highness the Sultan of Kedah.
[London, Printed at the Field Press … for private Circulation only, 1920].
Large 4to (300 x 240 mm); entirely uncut in the original art vellum, decorated and lettered in gilt; pp. [vi], 148, facsimile dedication leaf, additional colour-printed title, portrait…
11. BATHURST, R. D. The Ya’rubi Dynasty of Oman [unpublished dissertation].
[Oxford], Linacre College, March 1967.
4to. Original green cloth, lettered in gilt; ff. xvii, , 360, copied typescript, without the two maps in rear pocket (they have never been present and there is no rear pocket…
12. BEHESNILIAN, Krikor. In Bonds: An Armenian's Experiences … Third Editon.
London, Morgan and Scott, [c. 1900].
Small 8vo. Original illustrated cloth, patterned endpapers; pp. 63, sketch map and four plates after photographs; a near-fine copy.Although third edition, very rare. Presentation copy…
14. BLAEU, Joan. Geographia Blavianae volumen sextum, quo liber XII, XIII, Europae continentur [Scotia, Hibernia].
Amsterdam, J. Blaeu, 1662.
Two parts in one volume, imperial folio (560 x 350 mm). Publisher's full vellum with yapp edges, richly blocked in gilt; pp. [xxiv], 169; [ii], 49, , with hand-coloured additional…
15. [BLAEU, Willem Janzsoon, and MAKOWSKI, Tomasz]. Campus inter Bohum et Borystenem. Engraved map in two strips, outline handcoloured, composed of two joint leaves.
[Amsterdam, Blaeu, c. 1635].
Plate size c. 760 x 320 mm; very wide margin to the left, lightly toned, small repair at fold. Originally prepared by Tomasz Makowski (1575-1630) and here published by Blaeu for an atlas…