Book Catalogue – Women's Day
To coincide with International Women’s Day, March 8th 2018, we are pleased to present a catalogue of books covering a vast array of topics ranging from politics through to travel pioneers. As you can imagine, the pool of material to choose from is intimidatingly large and so we’ve selected those items we feel display some particular curiosity of provenance or quirk of character, with a few classics thrown in for good measure.
SIGNED BY SYLVIA PANKHURST
1. PANKHURST, E Sylvia (author). The Suffragette. The History of the Women's Militant Suffrage Movement 1905-1910.
London; Gay & Hancock Limited. 1911.
8vo. Original lilac-grey cloth lettered gilt to spine with device to upper board in gilt, white, and green, with lettering in white; pp. [xvi], 3-517; with frontispiece and 31 other…
5. [QUAKER.] FELL, Sarah. The Household Account Book of Sarah Fell. Edited by Norman Penney.
Cambridge, At The University Press, 1920.
Royal 8vo. (250 x 165 mm). Publisher's quarter linen over grey paper-covered boards, paper label to the spine, lacking dust jacket; pp. xxxii, 597, ; light spotting to the fore edges…
7. HAYES, Alice M. The Horsewoman. A practical guide to side-saddle riding and hunting.
Hurst and Blackett Ltd. 1910.
8vo. Original red cloth, gilt lettering to upper board and spine; pp. xvi + 534 + [ii, ads.], photographic illustrations throughout; previous owner's signature to front pastedown, very good.Third edition.
9. JENKINS, Hester Donaldson. Behind Turkish Lattices. The Story of a Turkish Woman's Life.
Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1911.
8vo. Original green cloth, lettered in gilt, top edge gilt, illustrated in white and gilt; pp. ix, 179, frontispiece and numerous plates after photographs; minimal rubbing to cloth, text a…
11. MEDICINE Advertisement for Doctor Hooper's Female Pills, Published by Virtue of the King's Royal Letters Patent.
Butler & Crispe. [no date c. 1850]
4to., single sheet, printed on both sides. A little staining and crinkling, otherwise very good.Advertising leaflet for Dr Hooper's Femail Pills issued by pharmacists Butler & Crispe of…
12. PAGET, H.M. The First Match of the British Ladies Football Club.
Original woodcut as published in The Graphic, March 30, 1895. 390 x 280 mm.
15. VAKA, Demetra. The Unveiled Ladies of Stamboul.
Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1923.
8vo. Original decorative maroon cloth, lettered in red; pp. x, , 260, , plates after photographs; lower outer corners with bumps, otherwise a very good copy.First edition, rather rare…