HUSTLER, James. Engraved armorial bookplate of Iames Hustler of Acklam in Cleveland in the North Riding of the Country of Yorke Esq. 1730.
Engraved Early Armorial bookplate of James Hustler. James was the son of Sir William Hustler (1655-1730), a cloth merchant of Bridlington knighted by Charles II in 1688. Sir William rented the Acklam Grange from Sir Francis Boynton and purchased it in 1637 from Sir Matthew Boynton after the death of Sir Francis. The estate then consisted of the whole of the Acklam township and parts of Ayresome, Middlesbrough and Linthorpe, it was Sir William who built Acklam Hall. After his death in 1730 his son James inherited (hence the 1730 date on the bookplate). James played a significant part in the eighteenth century development of Cleveland when he allowed the bridle road from Acklam Lane to Mandale and the new stone bridge at Stockton to be made into a carriage road. This diverted the traffic away from the port of Yarm, shortening the route to Stockton via the Blue Bell by 6 miles. James served as High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1736. When he died in 1769 without descendants, the estate passed through his sisters Ann and Evereld to Ann's two grandsons as tenants in common.
The family would remain in the Hall until 1927 when the last Hustler died. The Hustlers kept Acklam as a closed township. It therefore had a small number of large farms but a small resident population, and consequently a low poor rate. There was no industry or public houses and few craftsmen. Since 1935 the Hall has been in public ownership and has been used as a grammar school and a comprehensive school-known as Kings Manor School, with the addition of several modern buildings to the grounds. It is presently owned by Middlesbrough College and Middlesbrough Council.
The bookplate displays the Acklam coat of arms - Argent, on a fess, azure, between two martletts, sable, three fleur-de-lis, or - which were granted in 1727 to Sir William.
'This is the plate of Sir William (1702) altered.' Franks Catalogue of British and American Bookplates, Vol. II, page 91, no. 15820.